Wandering

Welcome! Bienvenido! Sa wat dee! I'm glad you're here to accompany me as I wander around the world =)

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tales from Thailand- Part II Snapshots

I woke up this morning to find myself in the jungle! I peered from my bed in the overnight train through dense emerald foliage to see a mahogany river below and cloud-covered mountains above. It was absolutely breath-taking!
I just arrived in Chiang Mai today after a busy, fun-filled weekend. Here are a couple of snapshots: (tried to make them as sensory-oriented as possible!)
-The day after I landed I went with my new backpacker friends on a looong 4-hour bus journey and was rewarded with the sight of a beautiful island! I checked in to my own bungalow/hut and spent a peaceful night before going down to the beach to see the sunrise, as well as a procession of monks in bright orange robes making their way along the white sand...
-Went snorkeling the next day. Boat pulled up to a smaller island and we swam into the coral beds, careful to avoid the foot-wide spiny sea urchins! Lunch looked and tasted amazing- fried rice with fresh watermelon, pineapple, and mangos on the beach!
-Back in Bangkok, their friend took us to markets in non-tourist areas, where we sampled meats, veggies, fried treats and confectioneries! Also went to Wat Pho, the temple of the reclining Buddha, which takes up the entire temple, top-to-bottom, side-to-side and painted completely gold except for footprints which were mother of pearl sceneries of elephants, birds, and fish.
-Went to the former capital of Thailand, Ayutthaya, about 1.5 hours away from Bangkok and explored ancient temples so quiet and serene they seemed to be in the middle of the jungle, when really the city was all around. The stone stupas and Buddha statues were draped in giant swathes of marigold-colored silk. Outran an impending thunderstorm in the tuk-tuk, only to be soaked in the unending downpour on our arrival back in Bangkok.
And here are the photos! Just the way you pictured them?


my bungalow on the beach at Koh Samet
 
 
the Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho- Bangkok

ancient temple in Ayutthaya

  
dawn at the white sand beach- Koh Samet



view of impending storm from temple in Ayutthaya


view from the train to Chiang Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment