Wandering

Welcome! Bienvenido! Sa wat dee! I'm glad you're here to accompany me as I wander around the world =)

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tales from Thailand- Part I Flying Blind

View of temple rooftops from the window of my hostel
After more than a full day of travel (26 hours to be precise), I have arrived safely in Bangkok! It is incredibly hot and muggy (not unlike Wisconsin was when I left actually). Flights were fine- not too much hassle and was able to sleep quite comfortably as there was no one sitting next to me on any of them. When I got to the Bangkok airport I chose a bus to the area I wanted to go to (that being a name I recognized in my guidebook). Some British backpackers stepped off the bus with me and we went around together looking for a hostel. The main street was ridiculous- crowded, noisy, dirty, so we went around the block and found a nice, quiet street with a few guest houses. We walked into the first one and the rooms were good- comfortable, clean, and secure- so we stayed. There's a common area in front where everyone hangs out and drinks and eats (in that order). No mosquitos yet but as it's getting late I'm sure they'll be out soon. There are temples and shrines everywhere. Will go visit tomorrow. On the weekend will probably go to an island about four hours away- their friend from "uni" (university) is studying abroad here and is able to speak Thai so we should have no trouble getting there. Then will continue onward to Chiang Mai where my training course is held. I feel very glad to have dreamed this up, lucky that I actually had the means to attempt it, and proud that I actually fulfilled it (and without specific plans! I'm curing myself, haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment