Wandering

Welcome! Bienvenido! Sa wat dee! I'm glad you're here to accompany me as I wander around the world =)

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Journeys in Japan!




Since moving back from Thailand nearly 7 months ago, I was living at home in Wisconsin. I got really busy serving at a restaurant (Olive Garden) pretty much everyday, but it helped me save up for my move- I didn't even have much time between quitting that job and leaving the country... 

So now I'm in Japan! I've now been here for nearly a month now and it seems I've done nothing but training and work- it's been pretty intense. I meant to write long ago but only just now have I felt like I've had time to breathe. I'm teaching English here in a city called Nagoya. It's the third largest metropolitan area in Japan- Toyota headquarters is here. The city is very centrally located in Japan, about halfway between Tokyo and Osaka, which should allow me to do a lot of traveling.

On the first day I arrived, I was picked up at the airport by my trainer and then taken to my apartment by my manager. All of the appliances are in Japanese, and the trash/recycling system here is super difficult to understand- it's all a bit overwhelming. The apartment was also shockingly tiny, but after about a day I got used to it and now feel quite cozy. The bed is simply a 2-inch thick mat on the floor; I also have a small floor table.




My work schedule has been crazy, but the people here make it so much better. In the first week, I was given a welcome party at an izakaya- a Japanese style pub where food comes second to drinks and everyone sits on mats on the floor. My co-workers are incredibly helpful and friendly, and the students are a fun bunch as well. I had brought some cheese curds from Wisconsin for us all to enjoy- they were quickly eaten. My good friend Emi, who I met in Bangkok, is from the nearby city of Ichinomiya, so I've been able to meet up with her on the weekends as well. Not only is it great to have a friend here, but I also have a translator; which is extremely useful considering hardly any English is actually spoken or written here.





The day after I arrived, I dragged my jetlagged self out of bed and went with Emi to Meijo Park, home of Nagoya Castle (yes, this city has a castle), to partake in the pastime of hanami: flower-viewing. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom when I arrived, which is lucky considering the short time they are around for. The white and pink buds spread out over the entire park, transforming it into a fragrant impressionist painting. It still feels like a dream- I can't believe this is my new home!



1 comment:

  1. That city sounds and from the pictures you have looks like a wonderful city Caz would love to see with all the pretty cherry blossoms!!! I love those trees soooo much that I'm about to buy me a crabapple tree as close as I can get to a cherry blossom :) you are such a fun and exciting person!!! I'm so lucky to have met you, you crazy gypsy!!! Glad thigs look good. Keep me updated on cute hello kitty stuff hahahaha....many blessings and look foward on reading your blog. I really miss you!! Cuidate mucho! Besos!!!

    ReplyDelete